Sunday, January 15, 2017

I'm Alive!

Dear Family :)

Long time no see. Haha, I've been missing in action! But I'm back!

Thanks for all of the messages and notes!! It was so good to heard from all of you!!

This last week was pretty good! We saw a lot of people and had a great time. Loving missionary life :)

A couple weeks ago we had a Christmas party with several of the neighboring zones, so I got to see Sister Jensen and her new missionary! It was so awesome! I loved seeing her. A sister who is
serving in West Sac was put in charge of the music for the party and she asked me and Elder Taylor to do a duet..... Um. Somehow word got to her that I was musically inclined. The best thing..we found out two days before the Christmas party. I looked at the music and almost died. I hadn't even heard of that song, there were some trickier parts, I can't sight read music to sing it, and I swear I'm tone deaf
only when it matters. I made short work of turning that duet into a small group of six :)

My beautifully talented companion was in charge of playing the piano for the party so I sang in two groups, and then turned pages for her. We were running around a lot trying to get things together. After the program, we were closing and President was like, "Um...Sister Julander! You have musical ability. Will you come lead?" I was like...uh....by President saying that, I'm positive that at least four
missionaries in this gym suffered a major ego blow. So I led the music very carefully, though I'm sure all of the music majors could sniff me out as an imposter. Afterward, Sister Wright thanked me for sharing my musical talents. Dad, dream come true. My mission presidents wife thanked me for my musical abilities. Your child has been recognized as musically inclined. :') Haha!  Sister Aiton insists I'm not as musically disinclined as I claim to be. Every morning, when we sing the hymn to open comp study, we solfege it. It's actually really fun :) I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm getting better.

Our golden family, the Sessas, have gone missing in action. They have stopped coming and stopped replying to our messages. We fasted as a ward council on Sunday for them. We hope to be able to start meeting with them again. They live in a gated community, so we can't stop in on them. Us meeting with them is based solely on whether they contact us first or not. It's so sad. In other, good, news, one of our investigators who seemed to have stopped progressing met with us for
the first time in three and a half weeks! We had a great lesson, and after the prayer he told us he had stopped drinking coffee for the last three and half weeks!! It was great news. Another investigator we
have, Deb, is really making some big steps and we are hoping to set a baptismal date with her soon. We are also teaching a man named Mel.
Has has been investigating for years, and he comes to church regularly. He is so close to baptism. Even while I've been here, he is making leaps and bounds. He is 85 years old, and he used to be a
general in the Airforce. He is so cool. I love him so much. His wife died two years ago, the day after Christmas. He misses her so much. I'm so grateful for the plan of salvation!

In Fairfield 3rd Ward, there is a woman named Sister Fox. The woman is flat crazy. She is fully functioning and her house is normal. She's just crazy. The elders have regular dinners with her and they always invite a companionship of Sisters. They asked us if we wanted to come and we said yes. We could never pass up an opportunity to go to Sister Fox's house. It's always hilarious!

We got to Sister Fox's house, and Elder Jones was with Elder Cullimore on exchanges, so it was his first time at Sister Fox's house. We could hardly wait to see his reaction >:) Sister Fox is older and doesn't have any children of her own, she babysits this little boy named Daniel. He's like three. So we were all eating dinner and she gives Daniel a piece of avocado to eat. She tells him he can't have ginger ale until he eats it. He says he doesn't like it, but she makes him eat it. So Daniel takes a bite and shudders. She tells him to take another bite. He takes another one, and shudders. He does it a couple more times and finally he just can't take it anymore. She put a huge bite in his mouth and tells him to take one more. He says, "I can't, I'm going to fwo up!" And he started gagging on it. She was like, "You stop that." He tried to sneakily spit it into his napkin, but she caught him. She kept trying to force him to swallow it. We were all helplessly watching this poor kid trying to tough out this salad.
Sister Fox had to go into the kitchen for something. When she left, I jumped across Elder Jones and put my napkin up to Daniel's face. I told him to spit it out. He was having a hard time getting it out, so I squeezed his cheeks to help him and this big gob fell into the napkin. As I was squeezing this kids cheeks, the thought crossed my mind, "This is like totally against handbook. I'm like wrestling this kid."
I wadded it up and quickly sat back down. Elder Jones reached over and took the napkin and shoved it in his pocket. Daniel wiped his mouth and Sister Fox came back. Daniel was like, "I finished my last bite!"
Sister Fox was like, "Where!" And she started looking in his napkin and on his plate. Elder Jones and Elder Cullimore said, "He swallowed it!" She was like, "Really?" We all nodded emphatically and insisted he had eaten it. Sister Fox was so proud she rewarded him with his ginger ale, Elder Cullimore's Ginger Ale ("I wasn't finished with that..."), the rest of Elder Jones Ginger Ale, and a pile of bread.

Crisis averted.

The zone leaders asked me to give a two-minute thought on our responsibility as missionaries. I'll be sharing it in zone conference this Thursday. I was trying to decide how to do this when the idea
came to me that I should write a story to demonstrate. I wrote it during personal study a couple days ago, and I thought I would share it with you! I hope you have a great week!! Love you all!!

Your happy missionary,

Sister Julander

Not too long ago in the pre-mortal life, Heavenly Father sat with
three of His children before they started their journey on earth. One
of the children approached Him and said, "Father, I'm so excited to go
to earth and prove myself to Thee. I know your plan is perfect and
someday I will come home. There is only one thing that worries me.
Will I be alone on earth?" Heavenly Father smiled and said, "You will
never be alone. You will have many brothers and sisters who will help
you through your battles, and comfort you in your sorrow. On the
hardest of days, when no one is around, my Son will be there for you,
for He is always near. His Atonement is infinite and His love and
Comfort eternal. Always remember, dear child, my love for you is the
same.  Nothing will change that." Satisfied and comforted, the first
child started her journey on earth.

The second child stood before the Father and said, "Father, this is
what I've been waiting and preparing for. This is my time to prove
myself to Thee. I have only one question. Do I make a difference in
this great plan?" Heavenly Father responded with a big smile, "Son,
your efforts, and influence will reap blessings you will never be able
to count. There are many people who will need your guidance and
encouragement. You will help many people find their way. You will know
this by the way you will feel of my love for you and your brothers and
sisters. Always remain faithful, and you will do much good."
Encouraged, the second child started his journey on earth.

The third child remained quiet for a moment. Father smiled softly, and
said, "Son, I can feel your thoughts." The third child looked up with
tears in his eyes and said, "Father, I know that life isn't going to
be easy. There will be many hardships and trials. I will lose my way a
few times and forget who I am. More than anything, I want to come home
to Thee. I know the Atonement is infinite, and through your Beloved
and Only Begotten Son I know I can return, but how will I know this on
earth? How will I find Thee again?" Heavenly Father embraced His
child, and wiped away his tears. "In these last days, many of My
children will be without the truth. That is why I have provided a way
for all to hear the Gospel. I have called many messengers to carry it
to every corner of the earth. They will bear witness of my Son and
tell My story. They will teach you again of my plan and help you make
it back to me." After a thoughtful pause, the child asked, "How will I
recognize these messengers?" Father replied, "When you meet them, you
will see my image in their countenance and feel of my spirit. They
will be an extension of my love, and you will feel that strongly. This
love will touch your heart and remind you again of your divine
heritage." Then he added, "Do not be afraid. My love for you is
eternal and I am always mindful of you. You will never be lost to me.
Remember, it is my work and glory to bring to pass your immortality
and eternal life."

Peace filled the child's heart. He knew that Father would never forget
him. One day on earth when the time was right, Father would show
Himself again through these messengers. They would bring the sweet
message of the Gospel, and remind him that he is a beloved child of
God. Filled with a renewed faith, the third child started his journey
on earth.



Jessica and Sister Jensen


Christmas Eve football with my homie Sister Bender. I have a warrior braid. I even made a touchdown.



No comments:

Post a Comment