I love you!
Thank
you all so much for your wonderful letters! They came on the day that I
needed them the most! Monday was my hardest day here at the MTC. The
food I ate for breakfast made me sick and it was down hill from there. (
I wasnt necessarily discouraged, it was just a tough day :) Anyways,
your letters came Tuesday and it was such an encouragement! It really
helped me to focus on my purpose and remember why I am here! I am
writing you back individually, so please look for a very large orange
envelope sometime next week :)
Mom says you
want to know all about the MTC! Of course I am so happy to answer the
questions I assume you must have. :) Here is the day and the life of
your not so average missionary!
We start the
day very early. 6:30 as a general rule, but Sister Jensen and I are so
busy, half the time we wake up between 5:45 and 6! We start the day by
getting ready and we are at breakfast by 7:20-7:30 where the elders from
our district are usually waiting :) we beat them to class and
everything else, but no matter how early we are, they always beat us to
the cafeteria. Go figure. The cafeteria has lots of variety and it is
indeed a mini Cannon Center (Boys, its your dream come true). There is
almost always something you like, but for reals after the first week you
get sick of it. Im looking forward to getting some real food. My tummy
hasn't been feeling right for about two and and a half weeks now ;)
After
breakfast is class!! We have a three hour class where we learn how to
teach in the most effective way possible. In no way is the MTC a place
to learn about tactics or what to say or how to hook them. The MTC is a
place to learn about love, and growth, and testimony, and how to apply
the Gospel to the investigator in a way that they could understand the
importance and relevance to their life and so the Holy Ghost can be
there. I hope that makes sense.
We sit in the
same classroom all day everyday. When we aren't in class we are
studying, but must remain in the classroom. The teachers here are all
BYU students who have served missions! Each and everyone are incredibly
humble and carefully chosen. Only the best are trusted to teach the
missionaries. My morning teacher is Sister Hanshaw, and she served in
Jordan's mission! She's been home for a year now. She is basically
amazing and I will leave at that because what more can I say. My
afternoon teacher is Brother Bishop. Can we talk about incredible?? Oh
my lanta, I love what he does for our class. Ive never had teachers who
have cared about me so personally or who truly want me to succeed. They
are so humble and I love them dearly. My MTC experience has been
incredible and they are two of the main reasons aside from my Savior and
the Holy Ghost.
I could go on forever about them. They indeed hold a big piece of my heart.
We
get an hour of gym time everyday! I love it! Sister Jensen and I always
go to the weight room and fitness gym. They play mormon messages and
its really quiet because it is the best kept secret of the MTC. Gym time
is happy time and its when the spirit talks to me the most clearly
outside of teaching investigators. This was true before my mission, and
even more so now.
Wednesdays we get new
districts for our zone! Sister Jensen and I were called to be STLs, so
we have the privilege of going to the new districts classrooms every
Wednesday night and welcome them to the zone! To my siblings, a zone is
like a stake, and a district is like a ward. We have three districts in
our zone and they are all wonderful. We welcomed four new sisters
yesterday and we can't wait to get to know them.
Now listen up. This is the most important part of your schedule here at the MTC.
BYU ice cream days.
Wednesday night and Sunday night we get ice cream here. Sister
Jensen and I tease that we know how long we've been here by counting the
number of bowls of ice cream we've consumed. We also have a one in two
chance in guessing what day of the week it is when we see that the ice
cream is out :)
Sundays are much different. We
haven't actual had a regular one yet because we have had two very
special ones with general conference taking up the third! How lucky!
I
can't even explain to you how Sundays go. Its all a blur. When you get
my letter, you will have more of an idea I promise. Sorry to sell you
short. Ill tell you this. We get up very early and we have meetings from
sun up to sun down and its the longest, yet most spiritually fulfilling
day of the week. Missionaries never have a day off!
You're
probably wondering about Kyujin (I found out how to spell her name
correctly ;P ) She is doing well! We actually aren't teaching her
anymore and we were basically devastated when they switched up our
assignments, but we poked our head in her door to say hi the other day
and to talk to her. We love her so much! Thank you for prayers in her
behalf!
Currently we are teaching our last investigator!!!! WHAT? Her name is Sara and we had the hardest time answering her questions.
Until last night.
We
found her need. The temple. She needs to know about the temple. Again, I
will write more in my letter because that is an incredible story.
So
I hope that answers some questions about the MTC. Sorry babies, I will
try to fill in the cracks with my letters home! I will respond to each
of you.
Okay. Here is the for real important part. Mom you've been waiting my whole email for this.
DEPARTURE TIME!!!!
We
got our flight plans!!! We leave the MTC Tuesday at 4:50 AM! Our flight
is at 9:55 and we will be flying into Oakland! Our President will meet
us there and drive us to Santa Rosa! Our trainers will be getting calls
this week!! I can't wait!
Family, I have to go now, but I love you all!! Thank you so much
for everything you are doing to let me be where I am at right now. I
can't explain to you the incredible joy I have and all of the
experiences I've been having. Thanks for the pics too. I sure do miss my
Tiny, and his pictures make me so happy. Rachel, your ninja skills are
on point. Thank you for the book! I read it to my companion, and I told
my whole class about it!!!
Lily, I sleep with the cat you gave me every night! So much comfort.
Christ
lives. He loves you. This is His Gospel. I love my calling. 18 months
isn't enough. In the words of the song, "Savior, Redeemer" it's "my joy
by day, and my dream by night." Boys, Im so excited for you. Always and
forever keep a mission in your plans, and the temple in your sight.
Never underestimate the power of prayer or the power of the limitless
Atonement. You are all so special. Never give up. Always move forward.
Laugh lots. Smile often. Love always.
Love you all!! See you in Cali!
Sincerely,
Your happy missionary
Sister Jessica Julander
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete